Thursday, November 19, 2009

A New Moon Has Risen

I know that I did the ‘What is the most amazing thing you have seen this week?’ prompt last week but, I just have to do it again this week. I have been awaiting this occurrence since the beginning of last year and it went completely above and beyond my expectations. Have you read the Twilight Saga? Well at the risk of sounding like a pre-teen girl I will happily say that I am a huge fan. I started reading Twilight when it came out in 2004 and eagerly awaited the three following books. Now that the series is complete and all four books have been read and re-read multiple times it is time to focus on the films.
I am not usually a person who likes movie adaptations of books. Reading is a passion of mine and I find most book-to-film projects to be a disgrace to the original piece of art. The Twilight films seem to be an exception for me. The books are so full of detail and description that you cannot help but be completely sucked into their world while reading it. As my mind processed each word on the page a movie played in my head. It is wonderful having a true visual representation of the material.
I truly enjoyed the first movie; of course things could have been done better. There were important parts left out and unnecessary parts added. New Moon, the second film, is a completely different story.
Yesterday a group of friends and I went into the city to go to the cinema. It was my first time every entering a movie theater in France. For the most part they are very similar to the US; long lines, candy, and ticket rippers. As the room darkened and the screen flickered to life we knew we were in for an amazing experience. The theater was packed and from the second Edward appeared on screen the crowd was in frenzy. It was so much fun seeing all of the mania that accompanies these movies. It is blatantly obviously in the US with the t-shirts and the ‘Team Edward’ or ‘Team Jacob’ memorabilia. Here the fandom is just a crazy, maybe just slightly less material based.
We attended the VOST showing of the film so we could hear it in English. It did not surprise me at all that the original English version sold out way before the French dubbed version. Everyone there, French or English, wanted the true experience of the film with the characters sounding like they were meant to. My roommate and I were almost hyperventilating the entire film. If you are not a fan this will sound mad but if you are you will know exactly what I am talking about. The film was beyond amazing. It followed the book as closely as possible and found creative ways to incorporate the little things that make the book special. Being able to see it two days before all of my friends back in America adds to the fun! This week made many people very jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment