Friday, November 13, 2009

Light in Art

All throughout the museum today, I noticed light plays a part of the sculptures. Art is the my favorite thing in the entire world. I have always appreciated the beauty, creativity, and talent that goes into making art. Being an art history major I spend a lot of time looking at and analyzing art and its meanings I have never taken the time to see the science within it. The most amazing thing that I have seen this week was this exhibition that explored science and art together through the ways that they are interconnected and used to improve eachother.Light has been haunting me everywhere since starting this pathway, DBT will be proud of my new observations.
Though it was a museum of science, art was a big part of its collection. The most amazing thing, that I saw, at the museum were the pictures that changed from a distance. Standing close the photographs they were all the same shot of Albert Einstein, but by backing away from the wall in which they were hanging each of the pictures transformed into a different person.
After taking five or six steps backwards, the face of Einstein started to change. He transformed into Marilyn Monroe, Harry Potter, Salvador Dali, and a few other famous faces. At first I was completely astounded, how could this work? Hanging beside the pictures there was a sign explaining the science between the changing faces. In the end it had everything to do with light.
Light travels at different frequencies, by making the pictures be on two different way lengths the pictures so up at different times. I think it has something to do with the eye not being able to interpret the two wavelengths at the same time. The eye processes one picture and then the other, creating the transition between the two different people. To be honest I was not very enthusiastic about the museum at first, science is my least favorite subject, but the museum was amazing. I had a really great time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment