Friday, September 18, 2009

New Challenges

The week is the two-week mark of my time in France. This entire experience had been amazing. I have seen so many amazing things and done things that I would have never dreamed of doing. The only part that is really difficult is the language barrier.
Being in a new, unfamiliar place is always hard but not being fluent in the language makes it a challenge sometimes. The other night a group of us went out to dinner and it was so much fun. We went to a fancy, sit-down restaurant and ordered without being exactly sure of what we were getting. I am a strict vegetarian, no animals of any kind, that can cause some problems in France. Being vegetarian is not something common in France, so I have to be very careful. I ordered a ‘lardon salad’, which we all decided was a type of bean. The waiter set in front of my this giant plate of salad with a huge heap of bacon on the top.
We soon discovered that lardon is a type of pork not a type of bean. It was so hilarious when that giant plate of meat was put on the table. It all ended well, I had ice cream for dinner which is way better than salad anyway. Everyday I am learning more words, though it is a slow process every time I use a word and the person understands me feels so good. This trip is such an amazing learning experience, I know that understanding French is going to take a lot of practice and that I will make a lot of mistakes. I am completely fine will learning from my mistakes, mistakes can add fun twists to everyday boring things.

No comments:

Post a Comment