Thursday, December 17, 2009

Having Insight

From the very beginning I knew that I would save this blog prompt for last. Now that the semester is over I can truly look back and see if I experience any insight. Obviously my insight was not to the same extent that Greg Mortensen's insight in Three Cups of Tea. Though less significant to the greater population, to me it has had a vast impact on my life.
I think that Greg Mortensen's greatest moment of insight is when he wanders into that little village and sees the school children. It was that moment when he realized what he life was in the part of the world where he went for recreation only. That moment he discovered what he was meant to do and what he was going to spend his life doing. At a moment of personal disappointment and assumed failure he saw his calling. By gaining this perception of how the village people live Greg Mortensen's life is completely changed.
The moment that Greg saw the little group of schoolchildren he knew what he was meant to do, he gained insight into his life's meaning. The insight that I gain was not as remarkable as Mortensen's. Obviously it was of much less importance, but I am talking about how it was even unapparent to me. I did not realize that I even had insight into my life until I looked back over this semester.
I now know that I am completely capable to survive on my own. I know that this is insignificant but I feel that is an important aspect of my life. Before leaving for France I knew that I was going to have a hard time living so far away from home. The first days on campus were extremely tough and I almost regretted decided to come on this trip. Now I realized that I have been living on my own for almost four months. Time has gone by so fast that I didn't even realize how long I have been away from everyone thatt I love. Now I am leaving France in two days. I now know that I am completely capable of anything that I choose to do. This trip has helped me realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment